Monday, August 11, 2014

Vocabulary Strategies in Middle School

Recently I was involved in a grade level meeting to discuss strategies for improving our students vocabulary. Ever since, I have been looking for a variety of new strategies and best practices to use in my own vocabulary instruction.

Sometimes vocabulary study involves a word list of tier 3 words, such as "loquacious" or "plaudit" given out of context, or with little context. The word study, typically lasts a week, culminates in a test, and then the student moves on to study a new list of words. This process is problematic because it does not really give students the tools needed to engage in meaningful study of the words. Though knowledge of these less commonly used, discipline specific tier 3 words is necessary, we need a more balanced approach to word study if our students are to be successful.

Tier 2 Words in the Context of a Novel

During whole class novel study, I have identified words that I know my students will not understand but are necessary to make meaning of the text. I have experimented with a variety of graphic organizers to explore these words. I will attach a couple of the formats that I have found useful. After reviewing these words, students are responsible for studying them in order to participate in a BINGO game in which I read the definition for the word and students have to find the correct word. Winners get to choose a prize. This activity is usually done every week, depending on the length of the novel study.


Tier 2 Words Using Context Clues

I like to begin my classes with a short, interesting, and well written text. One of the sources that I will often use is Tween Tribune. The articles here are typically well written (though my students have occasionally spotted a typo or two), very interesting, and often have great words. I like to pick out a few challenging words from these articles, and let my students practice getting at the meaning of the unfamiliar word using context. After they have practiced on their own, we review using a think aloud strategy. Occasionally, I will model my thinking on how to use different context clues to get to a particularly tough word. Students also model their thinking by explaining the clues they used to get to the meaning of an unfamiliar word.

Graphic Organizers

I have noticed that the word square has become very popular in word study and while it is certainly useful, I have been trying to find other models that might be used to study nuance in levels of meaning. One great strategy to try is the linear array.

Other ideas:
The following site has a list of 15 great strategies to try.

See also:
Edutopia Vocabulary Information
Vocabulary 2.0 Tools
Create BINGO cards easily--free trial only; paid after a certain number of times.

Presentation:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.